Sunday, March 20, 2011

Where in the World Are You?

I saw this as the location statement when I joined twitter earlier today, in anticipation of my first Getter On the Go blogging (is blogging the correct term?), I thought it was a perfect question for my life, and the perfect embodiment of what this blog is all about. Getter On the Go is about my travels in the food world and where my passion takes me... plus so much more.  I come from the school of thought that life is what you make it. I see it ring so true everyday in the kitchen. You only get out what you put in. I hope that one day I will have 100 stamps on my passport to represent all the places food, passion and a love for all things sustainable and whole have taken me. As of now, I have added two countries to the little blue book, one of which, Italia, I currently reside. My life in Italy has been incredibly complex, new, and challenging, but every challenge teaches me a little more about food and about myself. Calabria has shown me its many faces, from the crystal blue sea below my terrazza, to the raging waters of a storm, to the bright morning after one. In turn, I have shown Calabria just as many faces. As my three months here begin to wind down and I consider what and WHERE are next for me, I remember the lives I lived before this one and I wonder exactly how I got here. There was no "on ramp", no here's-how-I-became-this-aspiring-Chef. There was my father, handing his high-school drop out daughter a fat envelope of papers and saying, "You're gonna go to culinary school in the fall." That was over two years ago. I missed the on ramp completely and got pushed out of a moving car onto the highway. And I just kept moving, you can't look back because then you miss what's right in front of you, and besides it's much better not to know what's about to hit you from behind. The key is to look straight ahead, see the tunnel and say, "Yeah, I can run into that darkness, because I have faith that eventually I will see a light and come out on the other side, bigger, better, and stronger than I ever thought I could be."


I hope this blog will help others to come into their passion, strive for perfection, and live each day in competition with her/himself, remembering that it does not matter if you are better than anyone else, it only matters that you are better than you have been the day before. Share your life and life will share you.

Spingerti...

Amo Cucinare,
Ryn

1 comment:

  1. Go Girl! Keep working hard and striving to be the best and along the way take time to smell the Roses and enjoy the view!
    Your traveling companions are looking forward to seeing you in the official ICI chef coat.

    ReplyDelete